Horribly broken autogen.sh scripts?

  Hi.  I've been compiling Gnome from CVS since last October/November
and installing it to /usr/local/gnome.  Until today, I've run the autogen.sh
scripts with the environment variable ACLOCAL_FLAGS set to
'-I /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal' so it would pick up the correct
glib.m4, gtk.m4, etc.  However, today everything started breaking.  The
messages looked like the early problems I had with autogen.sh but are now
occuring during the make phase:

creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

Now type 'make' to compile ORBit.
cd . && aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 85: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

  Notice that make is running aclocal.  The makefile doesn't use the
ACLOCAL_FLAGS variable in this case, apparently, causing aclocal not to find
the m4 files installed by the other modules.  What new undocumented
feature do I have to access?

  Incidentally, _every single Gnome module_ now fails like this.

  Daniel Burrows
--
"It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin."
  -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_