GNOME-session: Still fails!

Hi GNOME people:
Well, this is quite frustrating.  I installed the 99.8 release plus the e
rpms from the ftps site yesterday.  Blew away all gnome lib, include, and
config directories, as well as everything e.  Then I installed the rpms.  On
my work machine, gnome session comes up and works flawlessly (Redhat 5.2,
Intel, 64 MB mem, 133M Pentium).  All settings are saved, and I can detect
no real problems; very stable.

On my home machine (266 Pentium, 64 MB mem, Redhat 5.2 Intel) I did the
same: blew away enlightenment in usr/local as well as all gnome files in
/usr/lib, /usr/include, ~/.gnome, /usr/share, etc.  Installed the rpms.  No
problem.  Tried starting just gnome-session in .xinitrc. It begins the X
session, then dumps back to the prompt.  I get:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/talewis:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7616,tcp/talewis:8324 (not the
real number)

Priority 00: Starting          Id=0
Priority 00: Cloning          Id=0
Priority 00: Registering   Id=(null)

I tried editing default.session in /usr/share and selectively paring off
options until only sm-proxy and enlightenment remained.  Same dump and
error.  Finally I removed sm-proxy.  Still failed.  I also tried deleting
all session files (default.session in /usr/share, session in .gnome).  I was
starting from /root, and noticed no core files there.

Can anyone shed some light here?  I ended up starting panel & enlightenment
in my .xinitrc to get by, but I really prefer using the panel's 'shutdown'
button to close the session.  Far slicker IMHO.

Tim Lewis                          direct 760-761-4673
tlewis@digaudio.com         fax  760-761-4449