Panel display glitch

I have a weird display glitch happening with the panel.  I hid and UN-hid the
panel a few times with the right hand hide button and a black rectangle
appeared over the hide button obscuring it.  The rectangle also prevents me
from clicking on the hide button, but it goes away if I hide the panel with
the left hand button.  It seems to be fairly reproducible, but it doesn't
happen every time I hide the panel.  Enclosed below are two small screenshots
of the glitch.

I am running:

venus:~ 104$ uname -a
Linux venus 2.0.36 #4 Sun Dec 27 06:06:34 EST 1998 i586 unknown
venus:~ 105$ gtk-config --version
1.1.15
venus:~ 106$ glib-config --version
1.1.15
venus:~ 107$ gnome-config --version
gnome-libs 0.99.7
venus:~ 108$

and:

gnome-core 0.99.7
Redhat 5.1
icewm 0.9.33

If there is anything I can do to help track this down pleas tell me.  I'll be
trying the latest highly intelligent bovine in the weekend, unless I somehow
develop a life in the meantime.

Thanks,
	Hugh

GIF image