Re: gmc: Say it ain't so! (directory chasing)

On 15 February, 1999 - Miguel de Icaza sent me these 0,6K bytes:

> So, I have a question:
>
> > As I sit here waiting, gmc is attempting to index /afs.  I wish it luck, but
> > it's unlikely to finish before I leave today....
>
> This is the tree code constructing an accurrate view of anything under
> /afs.
>
> So, can you tell me what afs looks like?  I have never seen it.  I
> need to know this, so that I can limit what the tree code actually
> scans.

Under /afs there are domain-names (actually cell-names)...

For example..
[peppar] c97ton:/afs>\ls -d *.se
e.kth.se   mech.kth.se        nada.kth.se         pdc.kth.se
it.kth.se  mr-afs.pdc.kth.se  others.chalmers.se  stacken.kth.se

stat():ing everything under here will take a very long time, since it
should contact servers all around the world, and maybe some are down
which means timeouts etc..

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå