Re: launcing applets causes panel to seg fault

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:32:45 -0500 (EST), Clint McCreary
<clintm@grove.ufl.edu> wrote:

>Any time I start the panel, it crashes when it trys to launch the
>clock applet.  I am using all components (gnome-libs, core, ORBit, etc.)
>from last Thursday's CVS, but I've been having this problem for a long
>time.  I am also running kernel version 2.2.1 and glibc 2.0.112. A
>backtrace looks like:
>
>#0  goad_server_list_get () at goad.c:162
>#1  0x400f3bcd in goad_server_activate_with_id (server_list=0x0,
>    server_id=0x80eabb8 "gen_util_clock", flags=24, params=0x0) at
>goad.c:415
>#2  0x8062ce4 in extern_start_new_goad_id (e=0x80eaac8) at extern.c:189
>#3  0x8062fe9 in load_queued_externs () at extern.c:330
>#4  0x805258b in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff744) at main.c:212
>#5  0x40495994 in __libc_start_main ()

OK, thanks for the backtrace. Can you find out what version of goad.c you
have? 'cvs status gnome-libs/libgnorba/goad.c' outputs this information.

Since it is impossible for line 162 itself to segfault (line 162 is a
function call, and dereferences no pointers), I'm not sure whether the
problem is in goad or your experimental glibc. If you have version 1.64 of
goad.c like I do, I would be inclined to blame your compilation/runtime
environment:) It could also be that you need a newer glibc that works
properly with your experimental glibc in order to produce a reliable
backtrace.

If you compiled your gnome-libs with CFLAGS=-O2, that might also cause
erroneous backtrace results. Try recompiling without the -O2 (e.g.
CFLAGS="-g -Wall -pipe" ./configure --prefix=... ) and getting the
backtrace again.

Further information is needed in either case,
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg