Dirty compile in esound

I've just deleted and re-checkedout audiofile and esound.

audiofile compiles and installs ok.

esound gives warning errors like 'return from incompatible pointer type'
in mix.c (quite a few places)

Then finally fails in the libttool link phase with with libesd.so
Undefined call to afgetSampleFormat. -- and about 10 others.

I've scanned my system for old libraries and found none.

A casual answer would be that the CVS tree has caught the audiofile and
esound libs at different version levels--- but I'm not sure I beleive
it.

Any ideas, folks??

Regards
john