Copyright and license of GNOME icons ...

Alright.

I realized after I wrote my initial message that many of the GNOME icons
are distributed under the gnome-libs package which is under the LGPL
license. Effectively, then, if I use the icons I'm actually using part of
that library. This implies that the software which uses the icons, itself,
is not required to be licensed under the LGPL or GPL. However, the
software, when "linked", produces an executable that must be covered by the
LGPL.

So what does "linking" mean in the context of graphics? Perhaps it can mean
"embedding" into the executable rather than reading them at runtime. The
latter seems to be more similar to loading a shared library.

Am I on the right track?