Problem loading libgnome (so.31 & so.32)

Well, I'm stumped.

Here's the error message I get when seemingly any program tries to load
libgnome:

wraith:/usr/src/cvs/gnome/gnome-core/gsm$ ls -l gnome-session
-rwxr-xr-x   1 fifield  src        570366 Feb  9 17:55 gnome-session
wraith:/usr/src/cvs/gnome/gnome-core/gsm$ ./gnome-session
./gnome-session: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgnome.so.32: undefined symbol: poptHelpOptions
wraith:/usr/src/cvs/gnome/gnome-core/gsm$

wraith:/usr/src/cvs/gnome/control-center/control-center$ ./gnomecc
./gnomecc: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgnome.so.32: undefined symbol: poptHelpOptions
wraith:/usr/src/cvs/gnome/control-center/control-center$

Unfortunately, I don't know where to start debugging this problem, but it
has been happening for a couple days.  Info that may help:
wraith:~$ autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
wraith:~$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4
wraith:~$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.2d
wraith:~$ make --version
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

Yes, I ran ldconfig after every new library I installed, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is set correctly, up until a couple days ago everything worked quite
nicely.  I don't know what I did to break things, but I'd love to have
some assistance or suggestions on what I can try to do to fix things.
Gnome works so well that I've become dependant on it to organize my
computing environment.  Not having it leaves me terribly distraught. :)

Any suggestions whatsoever would be appriciated.

TIA,

--

Jamie Fifield <fifield@cs.dal.ca>

Using encryption on the Internet is the equivalent of arranging
an armored car to deliver credit-card information from someone
living in a cardboard box to someone living on a park bench.
		      Gene Spafford