Re: gtk-doc

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Aisen, Alex M. wrote:
> I am a newbie trying to build gnome for the first time.  Thanks to a helpful
> soul, I now realize I must first compile
> gtk-doc
> to get gnome-libs to compile.

Why?  AFAIK, nothing depends on gtk-doc, gnome-libs certainly doesn't.
I've never even downloaded it, and I've been using GNOME for a year now.

> I am having trouble with gtk-doc, such that the gnome-libs make install
> fails indicating is having trouble with docbook.  Probably I have not
> installed or configured something properly.

Could you be a bit more specific where the make fails (preferably the
exact text of the failure from the last command to the last exit).  Most
of the docbook documents are in the devel-docs directory, but there's one
in libgnomeui and one in gnome-hello.  NONE of the docbook documents
should be touched by a "make" or a "make install".

> There are 3 packages gtk-doc needs.  I think I've built and installed jade
> OK.  I downloaded two zip files: docbk31.zip (the docbook) and db133.zip
> (stylesheets).
>
> What do I do with the unzipped contents of these two files?  How do I
> configure jade to know about them so the gnome-libs install doesn't fail?
> Do I need to set some envirornment variable or configuration file?

If you still want to install it (it's not necessary, but it makes writing
documentation much nicer), here's some more info.

The DocBook homepage is at http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
The Jade homepage is at http://www.jclark.com/jade/
Norman Walsh's stylesheets' homepage is http://nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/index.html

All of them have much information.

Most people here who have docbook installed got it from the RPMs at
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/home/rosalia/.  That's probably the easiest way
to get it up and running on your system.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef