gnome-libs compilation error

Hello,

I am trying to compile gnome-libs on my Slackware 3.6 system (still libc5
based). While running 'make', I get the following error:

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lintl.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

I don't really know where to get this libintl - a search started from the
root directory did't find any libintl.* Is it in one of the Gnome source
directories?

TIA,
Juergen