problems with the newest RPMs

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and to gnome.  I'm running RedHat 5.2 and installed
the version of gnome from the CD.  That worked fine, though there were
many unfinished parts, of course.  So I decided to upgrade to the latest
RPMs.  I downloaded all the RPMs (except the -devel ones) from the the
gnome/redhat/latest/i386 directory of one of the mirror ftp sites and
installed them (which required some --nodeps, though that was minimized by
installing in the order recommended on the web site).  But now nothing
works!  For example, when I try panel & I get:

Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound server
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/share/pixmaps/tiles/tile-normal-up.png
All fallbacks failed.
...(many more lines like that referring to "missing" pixmaps)

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkObject'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 725 (gtk_signal_connect_after):
assertion `object != NULL' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkObject'

** CRITICAL **: file applet.c: line 426 (register_toy): assertion `applet !=
NULL' failed.

[1]    Segmentation fault            panel (core dumped)

I have checked and all the pixmaps that are claimed to be missing are in
fact there.  I can look at them using xv and they look fine.  Does anyone
have any idea what's going on here? Thanks in advance for any help you can
offer.

Jon
Jonathan D. Slavin                   NASA/Ames Research Center
slavin@shevek.arc.nasa.gov           MS 245-3
phone: (650) 604-5727 ! NOTE NEW  !  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
  fax: (650) 604-6779 ! AREA CODE !  USA