revives panel as well.

Well, just in case you'll find it usefull. Here are backtraces for
gmc:

#0  0x404616f4 in __read ()
#1  0x4048f6cc in __DTOR_END__ ()
#2  0x4043356c in _IO_file_underflow (fp=0x81618a8) at fileops.c:303
#3  0x40434148 in __underflow (fp=0x81618a8) at genops.c:249
#4  0x40431723 in _IO_getline (fp=0x81618a8, buf=0xbfffef78 "", n=2047, delim=10, extract_delim=1)
    at iogetline.c:47
#5  0x40430f11 in _IO_fgets (buf=0xbfffef78 "", n=2048, fp=0x81618a8) at iofgets.c:47
#6  0x40017ec5 in name_server_by_forking (ev=0xbffff798) at orbitns.c:150
#7  0x400180f3 in gnome_name_service_get () at orbitns.c:242
#8  0x8065e9c in try_to_activate_running_copy () at gcorba.c:205
#9  0x806546e in handle_args (argc=1, argv=0xbffffc6c) at main.c:2697
#10 0x806595b in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffc6c) at main.c:2897

and gnome-help-browser:

#0  0x404f36f4 in __read ()
#1  0x405216cc in __DTOR_END__ ()
#2  0x404c556c in _IO_file_underflow (fp=0x812e7b0) at fileops.c:303
#3  0x404c6148 in __underflow (fp=0x812e7b0) at genops.c:249
#4  0x404c3723 in _IO_getline (fp=0x812e7b0, buf=0xbfffd24c "  Q@\020I6@8 Q@#", n=2047, delim=10,
    extract_delim=1) at iogetline.c:47
#5  0x404c2f11 in _IO_fgets (buf=0xbfffd24c "  Q@\020I6@8 Q@#", n=2048, fp=0x812e7b0) at iofgets.c:47
#6  0x40017ec5 in name_server_by_forking (ev=0xbfffda6c) at orbitns.c:150
#7  0x400180f3 in gnome_name_service_get () at orbitns.c:242
#8  0x400173db in goad_server_register (name_server=0x0, server=0x812e458,
    name=0x8056031 "gnome-help-browser", kind=0x805602a "object", ev=0xbfffdc20) at goad.c:1066
#9  0x804e0fb in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffc4c) at gnome-help-browser.c:234

* FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM, BUT STILL WANT TO RUN   GNOME *
The following start up sequence works (consider it a hack :) )

gnome-name-service &
panel &
killall gen_util_applet
gmc &