Canvas question

Hi everyone,
The program I'm working on has a canvas, thats got lots of little rectangle
canvasitems (cells) in a grid formation, which each receive events.
Now if the mouse button is pressed, the the handler registers that (say)
cell 1,1 is
the start of the selection. Then if I drag the mouse it draws another
rectangle from
1,1 to the mouse pointer, then when I release the mouse pointer, the handler
is
supposed to get the end of the selection, by which cell receives the event.
The problem is, that the cell that received the buttonpressed event, also
receives
all the move events and the buttonrelease event.
Is there any way to make the cells that the mouse pointer passes over in
between
receive the events instead of the original?

Thanks
Iain (sorry it's so long winded and badly explained)