Re: Pre-configured Desktops?

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 08:29:45AM -0500 or thereabouts, Scott Sharkey wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there any documentation (yeah, right!) anywhere on how to
> pre-configure Gnome desktops: menus, icons, etc, for a user
> template?  I have a need to create a "standard desktop" for
> Gnome users, and am a bit confused as to what files go where,
> and how to lock down the desktop so certain things can't be
> moved or changed, and others can.  Is this documented
> anywhere?
> -Scott

I think this is part of what you want:

[hobbit@aloss ~]$ head -2 /usr/share/gnome/default.session
# This is the default session that is launched if the user doesn't
# already have a session.

You might have to hunt about a bit for ...../gnome/default.session;
Red Hat puts it in /usr/share, other Linux versions put it somewhere
else, and I have no idea where BSD puts it.

There is also this:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-config.html

It's mostly about what the different functions do, but in the course
of it, it has a section called "How Config Items are Read", with a
list of different places to check for defaults, including,

     * $(sysconfdir)/gnome/config-override - a system administrator would
       put config items in this directory that they don't want to be
       configurable.

There's more, there, too. Someone asked this a while ago, got it all
working, and then said they'd try to document it so that other people
could do it more easily. I don't know whether they got anywhere with
that, though :)

Telsa