Re: Pixmap Themes too slow (was gnomepad+)

On 14-Dec-99 Andy Kahn wrote:
>>         The new gedit (0.6.1) does not have this problem. I'm not
>> picking on gnotepad here, it's just proven to be a handy example
>> of this problem.
>
> This is because gedit does not have as many toolbars as gnotepad has.
> For kicks, you could try hiding the (big) html toolbar in gnotepad and
> see if that helps.  (Though I don't know if GTK does the right thing
> and does not draw to a widget if it's not visible.)

        Actually, I hadn't even _seen_ that toolbar until you mentioned
it. With all toolbars hidden, and with or without message window, it's
still slow. So I'd say that GTK isn't doing the right thing.

        I was not able to configure/compile gnotepad without toolbars.
I'm using version 1.0.8, which is the latest I could find on the
GNOME FTP site. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference
there was.

        Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I can live with it this way, at
least if I'm not editing huge files (which I almost certainly wouldn't
be anyway). If I get some time I'll see if there are other widgets I
can make use a "colors-only" style with the same effect.

Date: 14-Dec-99  Time: 14:05:40

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor