Re: Localising date format in GnomeDateEdit widget?

On Mon, Dec 13 1999, at 16:34:23 +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> Is there any way to control the format of the selected date
> with the GnomeDateEdit widget?  From reading the documentation,
> it doesn't seem to be configurable, and the moment it seems to display
> exclusively in mm/dd/yy format, which is kinda annoying for
> non-US users.

No it isn't configurable, but I agree that it should be. Some weeks ago
a sent a patch that always use the "%x" and "%X" formats of strftime(3)
which formats the date and time according to the locale. It didn't
however do any error checking when reading a user entered date. (The
version in gnome-libs 1.0.54 doesn't do it either.)

I think that the constructor:
gnome_date_edit_new(time_t the_time, int show_time, int use_24_format);

should be changed to something like:
gnome_date_edit_new(time_t the_time, int show_time,
                    gchar *date_format, gchar *time_format);

where date_format and time_format is any string recognized by
strftime and strptime.

I will be happy to implement the above suggestion if it is accepted
by others. The old constructor could be supported for a while,
writing a error message if it is used.

And finally another DateEdit question:
I would like the date-changed and time-changed signals to be
emitted it the date or time is changed by manually writing in the
entries (and not just when selecting a date from the calender or
time from the menu). Or perhaps there is a reason why this isn't
currenly done?

//Björn

--
Björn Andersson  <bjorn@lifix.fi>                        +358-50-3412556