Re: Trash and hidden files

> Let's say this is a multi-user system.  A school prehaps.  The
> filesystems all have quotas on them so no student downloads say the
> entire gnome cvs tree.  It would be horrible to get messages such as
> "Not enough space left to delete file."  It would be just as bad to have
> this problem on a single user system where the filesystem fills.
> Obviously, these problems can be worked around, but let's keep such
> things in mind when we do the coding.  Messages saying "Not enough room
> to store file in trash.  Are you sure you want to delete this file
> perminently?" would be better.  Other than that, I like the
> /.gnome-trash/...  idea a lot.  It can be it's own filesystem and can
> easily be backed up (or even nfs mounted to a NetApp or something) this
> way.

Yeah, you are right. Consider this:
	I'm on a quota of 20 MB but I want to do something with 100 MB
of stuff. So I just download the stuff 20 MB at a time and "trash them".
Since my trash doesn't have a quota (it isn't in my home directory), I
now have as much space as I want there. This is similar make a folder
in /tmp an using that, but for /tmp I have no guarantee that those files
will not be removed by the system.
	Hence, that ./gnome-trash directory in each filesystem needs
to have it's own built-in "quota-system". Each user's home directory in the
trash can have a max size. While trashing files, if the trash folder
becomes too big or disk space runs out, the user should get a few options:

	(a) Delete this file permanently
		(i) Do the same for all remaining files
	(b) Delete oldest files in trash permanently
		(i) Do the same for all remaining files

Option (b) could also be permanently set. Hence the trash will always be
a max size and hold only the newest trashed files.

This is much better than having a single quota for the entire trash,
otherwise one user's HUGE trash will prevent another user from trashing
anything.

	= L

|       LOBAN AMAAN RAHMAN  <-- anagram of -->  AHA! AN ABNORMAL MAN!      |
|   Snail: MSC #763, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91126, USA. ** 1-626-395-1407   |
|     Wired: loban@earthling.net, loban@caltech.edu, http://i.am/loban     |
| (Do 'finger loban@ugcs.caltech.edu' for my PGP public key and more info) |