newbie xterminal problem

Hey, I just installed redhat6.1 with KDE OS. Im having a problem with the
xterminal windows. The entire window is all black, so I can't see any output
going to the window. What's strange is if I cover that window with another,
or if I go to settings and change the colors, I guess the screen repaints
and the black that was covering the terminal window disapears. But If I try
to enter any input, all output to the terminal window is covered by black
(squares) again. I thought maby it was a problem with KDE, so I installed
Gnome, and I got the same problem. Any ideas..?

Can you also reply at cubadc@mail.earthlink.net

Thanks alot, Christian Calloway