RE: .desktop files?

On 06-Dec-99 d.rose@salford.ac.uk wrote:
> I start Netscape off from the ~/.gnome-desktop/Netscape.desktop
> link on my desktop. What I'd like to be able to do is use
> "nice netscape" instead of just "netscape" to execute the
> browser. Is there a tool to allow me to edit these .desktop files,
> or should I manually edit? In which case, what do I need to
> change in the file?

        The only tool I'm aware of can be accessed by right-clicking
on the icon on the desktop and choosing "Properties" or "Edit". The
latter will bring up an editor containing the desktop file.

        If you want to use vi or another editor, then in the .desktop
file there will be a line that looks like this:

Exec=netscape

        Change it to this:

Exec=nice <value> netscape

        You may have to specify the full path of netscape if it's
not in one of the standard directories.

Date: 06-Dec-99  Time: 11:22:42

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor