Gnome GPL question

Here's a "nuance" of the GPL I don't understand.

Linux is GPLed (the kernel and other supporting executables) but it anyone
can
write any kind of application, commercial, freeware shareware etc. to run
on Linux. I thought it might be because the linux code was not linked in but
don't all executables libc and other libraries?

The KDE desktop does not allow this since it is based on QT and QPL is very
explicit about this.

Where does Gnome fall? Is it a violation of its GPL to write a commercial or
shareware
Gnome app?