Re: forwarded message from Richard Stallman

In message <3849B7D2.8ACB6A11@transmeta.com>, "H. Peter Anvin" writes:
cc:  gnome-list@gnome.org, suse-linux-e@suse.com
> Svante Signell wrote:
> [Forwarded from RMS]
> >
> > Many of you are aware that the GNU Project objects to this.  If you've
> > heard about this from other people, you may have heard an inaccurate
> > rendition of the reasons why; people who disagree and those who
> > support us often oversimplify them.  See
> > http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for the real explanation, if
> > you're interested.
> >
> > Referring to the Linux-based version of the GNU operating system as
> > "Linux" was almost universal a few years ago (with some notable
> > exceptions, including Debian).  I'd expect that the people who started
> > and named the LSB felt certain that "Linux" was the right name, and
> > didn't mean any harm to the GNU Project by it.  So I wouldn't blame
> > them personally for this.  But if they want to treat us right, they
> > should change it.
> >

> Of course, most Linux people object just as vehemently to the GNU
> people's presumptiveness on this account.  I happen to agree with these
> Linux people.

He's becoming quite insufferably arrogant isn't he. I suppose he also
wants the *BSD people to rename their distributions GNU/*BSD also?
Sheesh!

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com             |
| Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.      |