RE: gdm exiting w/ "Fatal X Error"... help?

Have you taken a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config?  Specifically look at
the fonts section, and the paths that specified there.  Then make
sure that XFS is running when you first boot the machine.  You could
also check to make sure that xfs is getting it's fonts from
somewhere.  Assuming that those are correct, somebody else will have
to take a stab at it.
	Greg

http://www.creativesun.com

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs,
even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor
spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that
knows neither victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt