gdm exiting w/ "Fatal X Error"... help?

Good morning,

I'm having a nasty problem with Gnome as of arriving at my workstation. Last
night I shutdown to do some disc maintenance, formating a new drive, etc.
Today, when I reboot, Gnome is failing to start. I can't figure out what has
been affected--shouldn't be anything really. Sigh.

I'm getting this message, over and over again, whenever I try to enter run
level 5:

Dec  4 04:56:08 ra gdm[1220]: gdm_slave_windows_kill_ioerror_handler: Fatal
X error - Restarting :0
Dec  4 04:56:14 ra gdm[1226]: gdm_slave_windows_kill_ioerror_handler: Fatal
X error - Restarting :0
etc.

So the big question is: WHERE do I look to find out what's been broken?

I've already poked around at the obvious things, like making sure that
/usr/X11R6/bin/X is a link to Xwrapper, etc. I can't find anything obvious,
such as, say, /usr having been erased. Any help would be greatly, greatly
appreciated!

I'm running RedHat Linux 6.1.
--
Zacharias J. Beckman - zbeckman@creativesun.com - (U.S.) 305-281-8701
Creative Sun Inc., Publishing for the Internet - http://www.creativesun.com

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that
knows neither victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt

begin:vcard
n:Beckman;Zacharias J.
tel;cell:305-281-8701
tel;fax:305-447-9984
tel;work:305-281-8701
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.creativesun.com
org:Creative Sun, Inc.
adr:;;P. O. Box 14-3542;Coral Gables;FL;33114-3542;U.S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:zbeckman@creativesun.com
title:Director of Technology
note:"Something should be done. In general."
x-mozilla-cpt:;-14768
fn:Zacharias J. Beckman
end:vcard

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature