Re: Hangs when user-id changed

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, J. Edward Ellis wrote:

> I could look through the archives, but this is a rather unique
> problem.  I installed a user with nominal user-id of 500 and then
> discovered that I have to assign a user-id that is related to the
> payroll number of the user.  I deleted the account and the user
> directory.  I then recreated the user with exactly identical values
> except with a new user-id.

This problem occurred because you didn't do a system-wide file ownership
change, which is necessary when changing UID's.

Delete the /tmp/orbit-username directory, and things should work fine.

The latest CVS version of gnome-login-check (part of gnome-core) has had a
notification of this problem added so that you can fix it.

-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.