Hangs when user-id changed

I could look through the archives, but this is a rather unique
problem.  I installed a user with nominal user-id of 500 and then
discovered that I have to assign a user-id that is related to the
payroll number of the user.  I deleted the account and the user
directory.  I then recreated the user with exactly identical values
except with a new user-id.  This has occured on several machines.
The Gnome problem is that I can not log in.  Enlightenment hangs.
I think that there is something hanging around with the old user-id
that is not in the user's home directory to which enlightenment needs
access, but access is denied. I can log in on other user accounts just fine.

Here are the particulars:
Dual Pentium-Pro 200MHz
Redhat 6.1 was installed via ftp from Redhat 6.1 RPMs.
kernel 2.2.12-20
libc 1.2.5-1
gtk+ 1.2.5-2
imlib 1.9.7-1