Re: What's in matadata.db ?

The metadata.db file is a standard berkley db file.  If you really want to
directly edit metadata.db, I would recommend using python or perl.  Just
as an example, with python I can do:
  >>> import bsddb
  >>> db = bsddb.hashopen('/home/james/.gnome/metadata.db', 'r')
  >>> db.keys()
   (prints keys of metadata.db)
  >>> db['file\0/home/james/.gnome-desktop/cdrom\0icon-caption\0']
  'CD-ROM 0\000'

If you are planning to setup a large number of users, I recommend using
one of the sets of gnome-libs bindings for python, perl or guile.  You can
then use the gnome_metadata_set function to do all this sort of work.

For the example above in python, I can do the following:
  >>> import gnome.metadata
  >>> gnome.metadata.set('/home/james/.gnome-desktop/cdrom',
                         'icon-caption', 'CD-ROM 0\0')
  >>> gnome.metadata.get('/home/james/.gnome-desktop/cdrom', 'icon-caption')
  'CD-ROM 0\000'

I hope this helps,