Re: gnome-terminal

Hi,

Quoting Mikael Hermansson (mikeh@bahnhof.se):
> Hello!
>
> I don't know if this is possible but I have a option I want to implement
> in gnome-terminal.
>
> Why not let the window title has the same name as the
> directory/application its points to, for example:
>
> When change directory with cd command it also should change the
> windowtitle and when gnome-terminal start a new program the title changes
> to applications name...
>
> Yes I know there is an option(-t) to set the title but I want the
> terminal to automatic change the title when it's already is running :-)

A couple of weeks ago some clever guys gave some tips on using the
prompt string for this:

James Henstridge:
| Changing the title to your cwd is not too difficult, and does not require
| any GTK+ programming.  Gnome-terminal understands the standard xterm
| title
| changing escape sequence.  So for bash, you might want to set your prompt
| to this:
|   PS1="\[\033]0;\u@\h: \w\007\]$PS1"
|
| That will put user, host and directory in the title, and preserve your
| normal prompt.

I prefer PS1="\[\033]0;\u@\h \w\007\]\h \W \!: "
which results in "user@host directory_path" in the title and
"host current_dirctory history: " on the command line.

Warren Young also gave a hint on an article
in the Linux Journal On-line: http://linuxjournal.com/issue64

The complete story is in the lists archives.

Cheers,

	Frank

--
Frank Koormann          Institute of Environmental Systems Research
                        University of Osnabrueck, Germany