Re: Quick way to match programs to packages

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, James Green wrote:
>
> > Well, I do have a better suggestion. I was thinking about the way the
> > Windows (MS) manages to pack quite a bit into the zillions of widgets it
> > uses, especially the enhancements with IE4/5. The Start menu is one.
> >
> > Anyway, I clicked our beloved foot menu, and right-clicked on an entry.
> > Low and behold five entries appeared in a menu. Now this could be my cvs
> > version folks, so try it yourself, but it looks promising. Anyway, why not
> > put some more stuff in there?
> >
> > "Show full file path"
> > "Show package containing this program"
> > "Show program version"
> > "Show help for this program"
> > "Send bug-report for this program"
> > etc
> >
> > How about it, doesn't it sound cool?
>
> It really does sound cool, but I would put this info into the About box,

I think that much of the above information should go in the About box
I also think that I should be able to bring up the About box for
a program without having to start it. For example the contextmenu in
the foot menu (...) should have an item "About..." and I should be able
to do 'my-gnome-program --about' from the cmdline.

--
Per Erik Stendahl <berrs@update.uu.se>
Condescending Unix Computer User.