Gnome desktop crashes and can't recover dekstop icons

Every time Gnome crashes on my system I get the following:
1) Desktop icons won't show up
2) Pop up menu doesn't show up (when I right-click on the desktop). So I
can't do a desktop refresh or re-create icons.
3) GMC won't run

So far what I do is - delete all my .gnome-* directories from my home
directory and this seems to reset something and allows me to start with a
'fresh' desktop; however, I lose all my desktop settings and I endup having
to start from scratch.

Any ideas on this issue?

Thank you