Totally frustrated by gnome-ppp

Ok, gnome-ppp is frustrating the hell out of me.  Maybe someone can
help.

After the tips posted here the past couple of weeks, I had the thing
working perfectly.  Then suddenly, without reason, it starts acting up
again.  I haven't installed anything new or changed my config in any
way.  In fact yesterday, it worked during the day, then suddenly refused
to work last night.

What happens is the the pppd daemon dies *immediately*.  I get the first
status message in the window - "pppd started." - and immediately after
get the message box "pppd died unexpectedly".  The debug window is of
course absolutely no help in this situation.

kppp works flawlessly using the exact same setup.

What's going on here?

This is a cute plus, too.  After this has happened, if I hit the close
window ("x") button on gnome-ppp, it takes my entire GNOME session down
- all the way back to the xdm screen.  Hardly a desirable feature.

BTW, this is running nearly the latest GuruLabs builds on RH 6.0.