A couple of questions I have

System is RH 6.0 with latest Gnome/WindowMaker

1.) Everyonce in a while Gnome/WM would crash and when I get back to it, my
desktop icons don't come up and the gnome pop-up menu (when I right-click on
my desktop) won't come up; the same goes for gmc - I don't know if these are
related. The only solution I've found is removing all my .gnome-*
directories and start out fresh. I lose all my desktop settings, all my
desktop icons, obviously. Even if I recover these directories from backup;
the desktop icons won't come up, gmc doesn't start and the pop-up menu -
what gives!?
Is this some sort of bug? Is there an easier way to recover from this kind
of thing?

2.) RH 6.0 installs Gnome with E. Can I get rid of E, since all I want to
use is WindowMaker or am I stuck with this beast?

Thank you for your comments.