Re: The game formally known as....

* Telsa (hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 09:38:20PM +0000 or thereabouts, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> > * Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com) wrote:
> > > Skrabble?
> > >  -Erik
> >
> > I very much like gnome-skrabble.
> >
> > Does anyone know if I could get away with this???
>
> I doubt it, or I'd have suggested gnilbbarcs. Read it backwards :)
> There's always the (equally ugly) gnikamdrow, too, from the same idea.
>
> If you want something that sounds similar at the start, then go
> for the Welsh word "sgam" (which should have a ^ over the a). It
> means scheme, or dodge, according to my dictionary, which sounds
> somehow apt :) Better check with a native speaker, mind you, for
> other meanings; I just looked at my dictionary.
>
> Also in the dictionary was gnosiology, (the branch of science
> dealing with cognition), which I think is a splendid word which
> deserves more use than it gets, so I'm airing it here under the
> pretence that starting with 'gn' makes it on-topic.

Now that I like. I also like gnostic (relating to knowledge,
cognitive; having esoteric spiritual knowledge.

The worry is that people won't realise what the game _is_

I'm in a bit of a dilemna really.

> After that lot, I bet "skrabble" is looking better all the time :)

I'm now pretty sure I can't get away with that :(

> Telsa

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |