Re: The game formally known as....

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 09:38:20PM +0000 or thereabouts, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> * Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com) wrote:
> > Skrabble?
> >  -Erik
>
> I very much like gnome-skrabble.
>
> Does anyone know if I could get away with this???

I doubt it, or I'd have suggested gnilbbarcs. Read it backwards :)
There's always the (equally ugly) gnikamdrow, too, from the same idea.

If you want something that sounds similar at the start, then go
for the Welsh word "sgam" (which should have a ^ over the a). It
means scheme, or dodge, according to my dictionary, which sounds
somehow apt :) Better check with a native speaker, mind you, for
other meanings; I just looked at my dictionary.

Also in the dictionary was gnosiology, (the branch of science
dealing with cognition), which I think is a splendid word which
deserves more use than it gets, so I'm airing it here under the
pretence that starting with 'gn' makes it on-topic.

After that lot, I bet "skrabble" is looking better all the time :)

Telsa