Re: Problem with sound in Gnome--works from control-center, not from panel

> Are you playing MP3's all the time? If you have esd set to release
> the
> /dev/dsp after a certain amount of time, and if after esd releases
> /dev/dsp your mp3 player gets a lock on it then esd will not be able
> get it back. I had that problem and solved it by having my mp3 player
> go
> through esd instead of trying to go to /dev/dsp first.

No, actually I don't play them much at all.  The way I have esd
configured is that I put this into my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
/usr/local/bin/esd &
esdctl unlock

I'm not positive the second command is working though--maybe I should put
it further down the file to make sure esd is up and running first?.  At
any rate, it doesn't matter.  I can kill esd, start it up, do esdctl, and
then start panel, and it still doesn't work.  The esd documentation was
pretty sparse, so it was difficult to figure out how exactly to configure
it.  But I'm puzzled as to why sound doesn't get initialized with Gnome,
even though it's turned on and sounds play through the control-center.
When I start panel in a shell, I don't get any error or warning messages
about sound.

Dan