Re: Problem with sound in Gnome--works from control-center, not from panel

Daniel P Hensley wrote:
>     I'm having a problem with sound and Gnome.  I'm running pretty much
> the latest version of Gnome under kernel 2.2.11.  I compiled everything
> from source.  I have esd 0.2.8 working fine (I can play mp3 files,
> etc.).  I have sound turned on through the control-center, and I can
> play sounds just fine from there.  But when I launch the panel (either
> from .Xclients or from a shell), none of the sounds play.  At one time
> it did work.  I think it was the first time I launched the panel after
> compiling and installing everything.  But since then it hasn't, and I
> can't figure out why.  Any ideas?

Are you playing MP3's all the time? If you have esd set to release the
/dev/dsp after a certain amount of time, and if after esd releases
/dev/dsp your mp3 player gets a lock on it then esd will not be able to
get it back. I had that problem and solved it by having my mp3 player go
through esd instead of trying to go to /dev/dsp first.

Harry Henry Gebel             ICQ# 43675297
West Dover Hundred, Delaware