RE: GPPP applet

There's really not all that much duplication of effort. KPPP and gnome-ppp
are both based on Jay Painter's gnome-ppp. So a lot of the core code is
very similar. KPPP runs as setuid root, and I believe Jay had some reason
for not doing this with gnome-ppp so it has remained this way. The rest
is, of course, differences in the GUI code which is unavoidable.

The main thing that gnome-ppp needs in order to become more usable is to
be able to do all configuration from within the GUI. As it is now, you
have to edit a file as root in your /etc/ppp directory. This is something
that I think I can fix pretty soon. Michael K. Johnson posted some
information on a package that Red Hat has (I forgot what it is, I haven't
read all about it yet), and there's gsu in the gnome-utils package. With
one of those I think it will be possible to have gnome-ppp prompt the user
for root password and then automatically write the data to the secure
files.

Cody