Gnome Icon Status Report #2 -- "Spice up the menu"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of August 15th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tigert is still alive and well, painting icons and collecting
contributed ones like he should.  Unfortunately, he hasn't got much
time to add them to CVS. Miguel has thus granted me the permission to
do what is necessary to integrate i.e. the new icons that Ben
Frantzdale has collected and/or made.

Not only Ben, but a couple of other people have made icons, too; keep
up the good work! Here, I am slowly collecting, sorting and renaming
them to finally throw them into the Mighty Tree's ever-hungry mouth.

The maintainer of GITHNYBM, the list of Gnome Icons That Have Not Yet
Been Made, has granted me the permission to update this list, which
can be found in the gnome-icons CVS module. Whoever wants to make
icons should check that module out and have a look.

A point for those who want to make icons: Icons should be icons and
not logos. They shouldn't contain text. `Icons' such are those of
X-Chat and Screem, which are essentially nothing but logos, become
illegible pixel messes when scaled down. It would be very nice if the
X-Chat and Screem people could make their icons more icon-like.

Iain would like icons for .orig and .in files. Maybe someone can do
those, maybe he will (?).

Having had a completely nonrepresentative look over some applications,
I think that it would be good if the next version of libgnomeui had a
"MOVE" stock pixmap. What do you think?

Maybe the panel menu folders should use panel-folder.png instead of
gnome-folder.png... or is that pixmap to be considered obsolete?

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yours truly has written his second bit of Gnome code and thrown
pixmaps into the panel context menu. The patch will be accepted AFAIK.
It fills up seven positions with already-existing artwork.

Applet desktop entries changed and committed:
The drive mount applet now uses mc/i-floppy.png;
the CD player applet uses mc/i-cdrom.png;
the PPP applet uses gnome-networktool.png;
the mixer applet uses gnome-mixer.png (Jacob);
the gweather applet now installs tstorm.xpm and uses it (Jacob).

I have mailed the developer of the Bulb applet; Bulb is probably going
to use bulb/eteint.png which already exists as its icon.

X-Chat 1.1.x now features an icon (but it's rather a logo; see above).

Gnibbles actually comes with an icon, but no one noticed. Patched it
so it is used.

Gnome DiskFree installs and uses gnome-diskfree.png.
ESD Volume Meter installs and uses gnome-vumeter.png.
gMix installs and uses gnome-mixer.png.
gnome-sync installs and uses gnome-sync.png.
Gnome Search Tool installs and uses gnome-searchtool.png.
Stripchart Plotter installs and uses gnome-stripchart.png

gnome-color-xterm.png, gnome-clock.png, gnome-ccdesktop.png and
gnome-laptop.png are now installed by gnome-core and appropriately
used (foot menu / Add Applet menu / control center subtree).

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Games
- Graphics
- Utilities
- Administration
- Panel

Games:
- Gnotravex
- gTuring

Graphics:
- ggv

Internet:
(10) - Gnome Mailman

System:
- GnoRPM is using "foot question mark" icon
- Shut Down or Reboot

Settings Submenus:
- Multimedia
- Peripherals

Settings:
- User Interface Options
- Gnome Edit Properties
- Mime Types
- Shut Down or Reboot

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
(20) - MDI

Utilities:
- System Info (guname)
- User Listing (gw)
- Text File Viewer (gless)
- Gnome Penguin
- Font Selector
- guiTAR
- System monitor using "foot question mark" icon
- GDict

Administration:
- GULP

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:
Main panel context menu:
(30) - System menus (should use same icon as foot menu)
- User menus (should use same icon as foot menu)
- Add applet
- Add swallowed app
- Convert to corner panel

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements
- Monitors
- Utility

Amusements submenu:
- Fish
- Fifteen
(40) - Game of Life
- SlashApp
- gEyes

Clocks:
- Clock
- AfterStep Clock
- Clock and Mailcheck
- JBC Binary Clock
- Another Clock

Monitors:
- Battery Charge Monitor
- CPU/MEM Usage
(50) - Disk Usage
- CPULoad
- MemLoad
- SwapLoad
- NetLoad

Multimedia:
- Sound Monitor

Network:
- Mailcheck
- Web Control
- Clock and Mailcheck
(60) - Modem Lights

Utility:
- Character Picker
- Gnome Pager
- Mini Commander
- GDict
- Tick-a-Stat
- Task List
- Desk Guide
- Where am I?
- GNotes!
(70) - QuickLaunch
- Process management (gproc)

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Foot menu: "About" and "About Gnome..." using same icon
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- GnomENIUS and gnome-calc using same icon
- Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu using same icon
- gEdit should use its own icon and not gnome-word.png
- Multimedia submenu in foot menu and Multimedia submenu in applet menu
  using same icon (OK IMHO)
- same thing with Internet submenu in foot menu and Network submenu in
  applet menu
(80) - "This panel properties..." and "Global properties..." using same
  icon
- "Show documentation index", "Show history window" and "Show
  bookmarks window" in the help browser using same stock pixmap

TOTAL
~~~~~

We're down to about 82 icons, that's about the number I had estimated
that could be reached by quickly fixing things. And that's what's
happened in the last week. We have considerably spiced up the menu,
and the work will go on.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM (as soon as I have updated it :) if you want to make icons.

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
Look at the community. Look at how fast they turn the crank. They know
how to create a desktop environment out of the middle of nowhere in