Re: Ease of use (was Call for constructive user criticism.)

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 08:48:50AM -0700, Fox, Kevin M (KMFox@mail.bhi-erc.com) wrote:
> > I think one of the worst features about ICQ on windows
> > is the "Simple
> > mode" and "Advanced Mode" that sounds very like what this is
> > about, possibly
> > because it seems slightly insulting.
>
> Yes, but, it would help out the computer people who dont know much about
> computers. And the "slightly insulting" part will help people want to learn
> the advanced stuff. No one wants to look stupid. :)

Against all rule of machine interface design, of course. The whole point is
that the computer simply shouldn't be *allowed* to make the user feel stupid.
:) Not by insulting them outright, or even merely suggesting that the human
might not be as "advanced" as the computer's options are. Folks, this sort
of thread grows old quickly: the *humans* control the *machines*, and not
the other way around. Let's try to remember that when developing interfaces,
shall we? The end product should result in machines which bow their virtual
heads contritely and say "yes master" when the human makes his will known.