RE: Ease of use (was Call for constructive user criticism.)

How about this:
Have as part of the gnome stuff the ability for a program to get which mode
gnome is in. Simple/advanced/whatever.
A program will have the choice to do whatever it wants with this
information.
A program can have more then one interface if it is complex enough to
require one. If the program is simple, the program will only need one
interface. But if it is complex, and the programmer has enough time, he/she
can code the second interface (or use libglade) to make it easier to use.

Instead of making it a requirement, make it an option. Have the
infrastructure there so that a programmer that wants this kind of thing can
do it, and the programmers that don't want to worry about the simple
programs don't.