Re: how to play audio cd

From: Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:23:35 +0000
>* Scott Haug (eldamitri@hotmail.com) [990809 17:38]:
> > Wrong mailing list, but would anyone care to offer an explanation of why
> > they think installing different sound drivers would affect cd audio
>through
> > the sound card, when there are those (like Tom) that adamently claim
>they
> > should have no effect?  I'm at a loss, except to say that they
>definitely
> > made a difference for me.  And I'm not the only one---others have
>written me
> > claiming success in getting cd audio to work for their Ensoniq AudioPCI
>1370
> > soundcard solely by switching to the alsa drivers.
> >

>Are you sure it wasn't something simple like a muted slider on a mixer
>program. A change in drivers could've fixed this. Also, /dev/cdrom or
>/dev/audio permissions? I'm stabbing in the dark, 'cos this is a new
>one on me!
>
>Tom.

Pretty sure.  Unless gmix doesn't tell the whole story for the OSS system
(it certainly doesn't for ALSA---I had to unmute everything with amixer once
the ALSA drivers were installed), I had *all* devices (including cd-audio)
unmuted and at full (or full enough) volume.  And I don't think the
permissions were touched from one installation to the next (I had full
read/write permissions set, anyway).  In fact, once I had cd audio working
with ALSA, I switched back to the kernel drivers (replacing one line in
conf.modules), just to be sure it hadn't flipped on something by accident.
No go.  ALSA worked, OSS/kernel didn't.

(I just noticed---I seem to like parenthetical asides, don't I?)

Thanks for the help, though, Tom.  I'm baffled, too.

BTW, do you have an Ensoniq AudioPCI, or the SoundBlaster version?

-Scott