Re: CVS Introduction needed

>  1. I don't want to hold two copies of things as I appear to be with imlib
>  right now. How can I tell which to use? I see Eterm is also duplicated on
>  both gnome and opn cvs servers, yet the one on opn appears to be out of
>  date. Since I'm on a modem in Britian (per-min telco charges) I obviously
>  have to keep d/ls down to a minimum and duplication right out.

Both E and Eterm were moved to a different cvs server.  I don't know
if that is the openprojects one.

>  2. Would someone explain the layout of the gnome cvs server to me? I
>  understand there's the one for which 1.0.x releases are taken, perhaps one
>  for the 1.0.50 release, and one for unstable and new things (head?). Could
>  anyone explain what to get for what purpose? I'm planning on using the
>  most stable (1.0.x) tree, but may decide to use the 'bleeding edge' new
>  tree in the future (how are people finding it? generally stable? crashing
>  every day? opinions?).

Please read the CVS info documentation, especially the part about
branches.

Right now the gnome-core and gnome-pim modules have stable branches,
called gnome-core-1-0 and gnome-pim-1-0, respectively.  The HEAD
branch is always the development/unstable branch.

>  3. gnome-core and gnome-libs seem a little basic for gnome needs, although
>  they are the only requirements. In order to see more gnome-stuff, should I
>  also get some libs and gnome-* packages? Please advise.

You should get whatever dependencies your packages have, of course :-)

  Federico