Re: Great icons

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:56:22AM -0400 +++
> Ben Frantzdale e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > For anyone who's interested, I've put the tarball of icons I mentioned
> > earlier (to fill up the foot menu) at
> > http://www.arhs.net/~frantzdb/icons.tar.gz
> > Not all of them are great, but most are better than nothing :-)
>
> I've had a look at them all. Tigert should have the last word on
> which ones are include; after all, he's the lead artist.
>
> Nevertheless, here are my E 0.02:
>
> - desktop.png: I take it this is an icon for a Settings menu; maybe
>   its cheery greenness makes it unacceptable, but I like it.

It's for settings->desktop. It is a bit green, but as a sub-menu it's not
usually visable... (still no excuse for 2nd best :-)

> - fonts.png: This one's in the spirit of Gnome, but it's got a bad
>   case of stair-stepping and needs to be anti-aliased IMHO. Otherwise
>   great.

I think this is largely because the antialiasing is black->clear so with a
1 bit alpha chanel you get stair steps :-(

> - gnibbles.png: Great.
>
> - GnomeCard.png: Very nice, but staircased.

I didn't make this one... I just put it as a suggjestion for the games
menu icon.

> - gnome-find.png: Same thing.
>
> - graphics1.png: Maybe hard to recognise when scaled down. Consider
>   using a more mellow colour; it's so orange one hardly notices the
>   holes and the other colours.

I don't particularly like that one :-(

> - i-zip.png: Simply great, but such an icon already exists
>   (i-zipdisk.png). Nevertheless, choice is great, so why not have two
>   ZIP disk icons?

This is in CVS already, I think.

> - keybord.png: (Typo in the filename, BTW) Nice, but staircased.
>
> - laptop.png: Whoa! Beautiful!

if you look carefully you can see a gimp session editing that very icon
:-)

> - selector.png: The idea and the execution is good, but it still
>   looks like a Roman helmet to me. :)

It doesn't contrast too well with the default grey.

> - tetravex.png: Maybe unrecognisable when scaled down, consider making
>   the icon *one* single Tetravex tile.

not a bad idea...

> - utility.png: Could use more coulours and clearer outlines to look
>   sophisticated and "painted" like Tigert's icons.

I agree.

> I don't know about other people, but I think your icons are wonderful
> and go great with Gnome's overall graphics style. If I could decide,
> they would go into CVS immediately, but that's all Tigert's decision,
> of course.

Thanks:-)

--Ben