RE: Ease of use (was Call for constructive user criticism.)

Yes I can confirm that libglade builds the interface at runtime from an
external file (this is how it differs from glade's code generation
aproach).

It is possible to edit the interfaces with glade, which is probably what
you are after.

Multiple UIs are possible by loading different XML files (the choice is
up to the application).

Generally you can modify a GUI quite substantially as long as you don't
modify the names of certain key widgets (most libglade programs will
create the interface, then get pointers to a number of the widgets by
their name).

The runtime penalty is generally pretty small.  There is the overhead of
parsing the XML file, but this is only done once (the output of the XML
parser is cached so that you can create a new copy of the interface).  For
the next version, I have done a bit of work on the XML parser (switched
over to the SAX api), which should decrease some of the memory amd
speed overhead.  The actual building of the interface should take a
similar amount of time to a hand coded interface (maybe a bit more, but it
is not noticeable).  When the interface is constructed, libglade gets out
of the way, and does not add any more overhead.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions about libglade.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/