Re: UI suggestion: gnome-dock

On 06-Aug-99 Daniel Serodio wrote:
> "James M. Cape" wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Serodio wrote:
>> >
>> >         I just noticed that you can't change the order of gnome-dock
>> >         toolbars. For
>> > example, in Netscape, you have 3 toolbars in the top. You can drag the top
>> > one

also, you can click the grab bar and it folds up. if you fold all 3, they're on
the same horizontal field. I think both features cool.

>> > below the second and it will stay there. In AbiWord, we have 3 bars on the
>> > top, but if you drag the menu to below the toolbar, for instance, it won't
>> > stay there. (sorry if that's a little confuse)
>> >         Don't you guys think we should be able to do it? Also, there was
>> >         some
>> > discussion on the list some time ago about docking the toolbar beside the
>> > menubar for instance, or docking 2 menubars on the same row (like you can
>> > on
>> > M$ Word). What do you think?
>>
>> Ok, but the GNOME toolbars are huge. In MS products, the toolbar buttons
>> are pretty small, and can fit on the same line as a menubar because of
>> this. in GNOME, the toolbars are much bigger, and would cause a huge
>> gap. As others have said, it is possible to do this, I just question the
>> value of it.

I know that gnome can scale images, why not have the ability to have small
toolbar icons? mebbe a global conf in gnomecc that sets the default toolbar
behavior to "big" (normal sized) or "small" (scaled to menubar height, keeping
the ratio of width to height tho), and if a "big" toolbar is pulled onto a
menubar, then it's set as "small" (but just in that single contect, not a global
change). Some people like big toolbars, some people like small ones, and some
people probably want the ability to pull the toolbar onto the menu.

communicator style toolbar 'folding' would be cool to include generically, too,
for both toolbars and menus.

>       That's true about mixing menubars with toolbars, but what about 2
toolbars?
> And what about changing their order?

if 2 toolbars can change places (which I think they should be able to), then I
think we should be able to do it wiht a single grab/slide, much like moving
applets and launchers on the panel (if switched movement is chosen). Yeah, I
know this is how IE does it, but I think it's a fairly easy handy way, sorry

> --
> Daniel Serodio (aka Lobo)             |    /V\    www.linux.org
> dserodio@email.com                    |   // \\   www.gnu.org
>                                       |  /(   )\  www.gnome.org
>                                       |   ^^-^^

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.