libz

I am trying to build gnome-libs-1.0.10 on a pentium machine running redhat
5.2 and I am getting the following error when running the configure
script:
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for grantpt in -lpt... no
checking for inflate in -lz... no
checking for compress in -lz... no
configure: error:
*** Incorrect libz version found.  Please make sure you do not have
*** an outdated libz.a or libz.so hiding in your X11 distribution or
*** elsewhere on your system.  Versions of libz with the compress and
*** uncompress symbols are sufficiently recent to build GNOME.

According to the info I see gnome-libs needs zlib 1.1.3 and what I have is
exactly that version which is what shipped with rh 5.2.

Any guesses?

Thank you,
Cliff