Re: Folder Icons

+++ Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 12:24:25PM -0500 +++
James M. Cape e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > Gnome being graphic and all, I was wondering how you guys would feel
> > about the idea of being able to use your own icons for your folders
> > in the file viewer. The approach is pretty simple, though the file
> > viewer would have to be adapted to support custom icons. The approach
> > would be to have a file '.icon' in the folder which would either be
> > a reference to an icon or maybe even the icon itself.
> >
> > Having specific icons for folders in a graphical environment is
> > actually quite useful. On another platform that I use it helps
> > me quickly locate my internet tools folder, my development folder
> > and any other folder that I have felt worthy of a particular
> > use.
> >
> > Andre
>
> A better idea, IMHO would be to allow users to specify any icon for any
> file or folder. This way users don't need to mess with hidden files, or
> scattering .icon files all about or anything similar, they just
> right-click on the folder, go to "Set Icon" (or what have you), and
> select the icon they want.

We would do this with metadata anyway, I presume (Hey ho! Finally
something metadata is good for!), so we don't scatter files anywhere
and we can thus make settings even for files we don't own and in whose
directories we can't write.

mawa
--
...and thus the application framework came to a point where you could
say: "Hey, Miguel, I'd love to have a context popup at drag actions