Re: Filetype identification in gmc

>From: "Iain" <nodatadj@webtribe.net>

>How about using the extension for display of icons, but the magic numbers
>when you double click the file? This way the file would only have to be read
>when you're opening it, so it wouldn't cause much slow down.
>And then, it could check if it got the icon wrong, for example, a text file
>called text.jpg would originally have a picture icon, but when you double
>click on it, the magic numbers are checked, it turns out to be a plain text
>file, emacs (or whatever) is opened for it, and the icon changes to a text
>icon, thus ignoring the (wrong) .jpg extension.

Or how about using the extension for quickly drawing the directory, then have
something running as a daemon with very low priority/nice level, that updates
this information in the background?  Gmc keeps a cache of directories visited,
so files with "wrong" extensions could be indexed there, for later use.

Most people who are using a file browser aren't doing much else anyway, so the
update and correction should happen quite fast, but wouldn't effect the
usability of the UI.

Just a thought.  I've been asking about threading GMC for a while, since it used
to freeze for up to 5 minutes trying to quantify /home - which on my system is
an automount of many hundreds of people's directories, mostly with no read perms
=OZ  You don't even want to *think* about what it'd do if I pointed it at /net
(which has every machine with exported NFS directories within the entire company
internationally - best guess would be a 5 figure number).

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'         "Everything is true, for a given value of 'true'" - PTerry