Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

"jack wallen, jr" wrote:

>         the rpm package manager grpm is fairly nice but, and this is a system
>         issue i know, but only root can run it.  what good does it do the
>         new user to have to be su'ing to root all the time when they are
>         running a desktop machine at home.  now i don't mind.  in fact i

Well, I use GnoRPM instead of grpm, but the same should apply. I got
annoyed with having to go to the command line, switching to root, and
then running gnorpm. By then since I was already at the command line I
ended up just using the rpm commands. The solution I finally came up
with was change the icon link from just running 'gnorpm' to 'su -m -c
gnorpm'. I'm not really sure what security issues that brings in, but it
seems to be pretty good, becuase it will bring up xterm for me to enter
the root password, and then the GnoRPM GUI will come up.

This might be obvious solution to some of you developers, but I figured
I would post this for the people more like me who want to try and get
away from the command line.

This way, software installation still requires the root password, but it
gets away from the command line some.

--
Eric Anderson
Computer Science, Georgia Tech