RE: Integrated Directory Service.

On Monday, August 02, 1999 8:58 PM, Bruce Stephens
[SMTP:bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk] wrote:
> Jorge Gomes Silva <jgs@plurimarketing.pt> writes:
>
> > Are there any plans for integrating a directory service into Gnome ?
> >
> > I think that is a "must" if Gnome wants to find a place in the
> > enterprise.  It also might be useful for the home user if you think
> > about it at an Internet scale.
>
> What would Gnome use a directory for?
Well in Windows you can do things like sharing directories to allow other
ppl to access information in your machine. If you do that you'll probably
want to specify which users in the network will have access to your
shares/information. You'll need a directory service for that.

I worked with some big companies and one of the things most of them
demanded was "Roaming/Network user profiles". With Network profiles (which
Windows provides), a user can logon at any computer, validates himself with
a directory service on the network (a.k.a Domain Controller in Windows) ,
and gets its profile from the directory service. In that way a user's
desktop always looks the same, independently of the computer where the user
logged on. This kind of feature is very useful in bank branches where the
user can logon in different computers at different times.

These are two examples of using a directory service for "desktop
functions". Other uses may occur, like storing mail addresses (important in
big organizations), etc.

As an additional point, one of the most important features that Microsoft
has been advertising for its Windows 2000 is the "Active directory" (I know
Microsoft may not be a good example...).