Re: mounting/unmounting devices for newbies (fwd)

I think this got lost somewhere so im sending it again.  I apologize if
its a repeat..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:17:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: gnome@istream.net
To: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: mounting/unmounting devices for newbies

I was thinking about this too and what I determined is that since the
floppy in fact does not notify when the media is changed, it shouldnt get
mounted like any other drive does.  For instance, the way Win95 handles it
as you can tell by watching the drive is mount/write/umount or
mount/read/umount every time it needs the disk, and apparently uses
syncronous writing.  These are both possible as other posters have shown
using -osync and automount with 1 second delay.  And as you mentioned,
every other type could utilize the signal it sends to mount them
dynamically.  I think this would be a HUGE benefit to helping normal
people use linux.